Tuesday 20 December 2011

Making life easier !

 

A NEW service is enabling older people in Banbury to live their lives with more freedom by giving them help with daily tasks.

Age UK Oxfordshire's home support service, My Life, My Way offers support to older people and Age UK staff are inviting all elderly Oxfordshire residents who would really like a helping hand to contact them.

By providing appropriate assistance, the service aims to support and fulfil the lives of those living in their own homes and communities.

Brenda Lickerish, 83, of Banbury has been using the property support service for eight months and is visited by a property support worker for two hours a week.

Mrs Lickerish said: "My life is so far easier now knowing that Paula, my home support worker, is coming to visit me and it also makes my daughter's life easier knowing that I am getting some extra help and support.

"It makes such a difference to me around the house and I didn't realise how much I was struggling to do things until Paula arrived to aid me.

"I was getting tired doing the everyday chores and now this tiredness has been lifted and things are made far simpler."

The support workers help with a number of duties relating to the clients' needs, including: transporting and accompanying to health check-ups and appointments, undertaking light gardening duties, giving companionship to go out for a meal or cup of tea, taking a client to the shops or just assisting around the property with cleaning, ironing and having a chat.

Mrs Lickerish said: "It is so nice to see a friendly face and to speak about different things and I really look forward to my visits."

Age UK Oxfordshire staff are trained and experienced and can visit throughout the day at times convenient to the older person.

Home support manager Tina Turvey, said: "My Life, My Way is growing rapidly within the Banbury area but we would love to raise awareness and contact those older people along with families that we have not been able to reach as yet.

"The service is very flexible, and customers are not contracted to fixed hours, so it can be used as little or often as required.

"For families the service is brilliant, as hours can be purchased as gifts for that much needed trip into town, or walk in the park, the list is endless".

The Home Support Service is charged at an hourly rate. It costs £15 for the first hour and £10 per hour after that. However, it is hoped the charity may get funding for this service in the future.

For additional information contact Tina Turvey on 01295 278040 or email tinaturvey@ageukoxfordshire.org.uk



Trade News Selected by Local Linkup